With over 10 years of experience solving complex legal and tax issues for her clients, Erin B. Patterson, JD, CPA now concentrates her law practice exclusively on estate planning, estate and trust administration and business law. Her mission is to provide North Carolina and South Carolina residents – families and business owners – with the advice they need to solidify their legacy.
Prior to founding the firm, Erin counseled primarily high net worth clients regarding advanced estate, trust and business matters as a Partner at another Charlotte law firm. That experience complemented the start of her career which began as a CPA and tax consultant at a “Big 4” accounting firm advising executives at nationwide companies on how to handle and sometimes dispute their state and local income tax obligations. In opening the doors of Erin Patterson Law, she sought to bring her legal and business acumen to those who need it most and in a manner unlike other law firms.
Erin recognizes that a properly planned estate involves much more than who receives assets at death; rather, it requires a careful balancing of objectives, family dynamics, resources, and the tax environment. She understands that the grief experienced after death can hinder an executor or trustee's energy or ability to tackle the responsibilities of the probate process. She empathizes with entrepreneurs who are rightfully absorbed with the daily demands of running a successful business and feel overwhelmed by the attendant legal obligations. Erin's passion is to lift the burden of worry by methodically walking clients through these matters.
Born and raised in New Orleans, Erin is now a proud resident of the Dilworth neighborhood in Charlotte, several blocks from her practice. Her husband, Brad, and two young children are the source of her joy and serve as the inspiration to treat her clients as she hopes her own family would be treated. On the weekends, you might spot Erin walking to the parks in Dilworth with her family and yellow lab, Mojeaux, watching college football, or planning her next international adventure.
- North Carolina (NC Bar #39540)
- South Carolina (SC Bar #104983)
Additional Professional Designations:
- Certified Public Accountant (North Carolina Certificate Number 35871)
North Carolina Bar Association
- Member, Estate Planning & Fiduciary Law Section
South Carolina Bar
- Member, Probate, Estate Planning and Trust Section
Mecklenburg County Bar Association
- Member, Estate Planning & Probate Section
- Charlotte Estate Planning Council
- North Carolina Association of Certified Public Accountants
- Super Lawyers - North Carolina Rising Stars (Estate Planning), 2019 - 2022
- The Best Lawyers in America (Corporate Law), 2021
- The Best Lawyers in America (Trusts and Estates, Corporate Law, and Business Organizations), 2022
- Business North Carolina - Legal Elite (Tax & Estate Planning), 2021 & 2022
- Louisiana State University, 2009
- Juris Doctor and Graduate Diploma in Civil Law
- University of South Carolina, 2006
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Accounting